BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Experienced Non-Management Level
FUNCTION: Marketing R&D (Research & Development)
SUB FUNCTION: New Categories, R&D
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
- UK yearly Incentive Bonus – competitive % based on business results and average annual salary
- Attractive Private Pension Plan - up to 15%, Private Medical cover, Doctor @hand-24/7 GP appointments, by video or by phone, 365 days a year, from anywhere in the world
- Share Reward Scheme (free shares and share saving scheme), Group Personal Accident Insurance, Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits Scheme: Tax Return Assistance, Cycle To Work, Holiday Trading, Dental Insurance, Travel Insurance; Onsite Gym and Gyms Discounts-discounts at over 3,700 gyms, SPAs, pools, studios and outdoor fitness events across the UK; Season Ticket loans-Interest free loans for purchase of annual tickets for public transport
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
The Senior Technologist – MO role is chiefly responsible for the execution of assigned tasks using laboratory equipment and expertise across a range of projects and activities within the New Categories product development portfolio to support the delivery of the commercial vision of a product in the R&D pipeline.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
This role will utilise knowledge of New Categories lab methodologies and broad scientific principles to assist a team of senior scientists in executing an element of a product development plan, whilst using this team experience to build out personal capabilities to expand technical knowledge of New Category products.
Principal manager – MO Discovery or Development
Number of Direct Reports
Internal -Scientists and Senior Technologies within the team and from other teams, NC R&D Management
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- To have accountability for the delivery of assigned activities across a portfolio of projects and activities within the New Categories product development portfolio
- To hold lab expertise in operating the required machinery/testing capabilities in order to perform assigned tasks in the required time frames to contribute to the testing of new products and technology
- To have the technical understanding of workstreams within the product development plan of a given project in order to deliver the assigned tasks within the required timescales and in line with product launch target dates
- To have awareness of best practices and compliance using technical knowledge and broad scientific principles to ensure effective delivery of an appropriate given task
- To assist and work closely with the more senior scientist roles within the team with a focus on upskilling personal breadth and depth of technical knowledge in new categories product development and learning the chemistry of substances such as e-liquids
- To have an understanding of laboratory testing activities, methodologies, and equipment capabilities to carry out assigned duties to fulfil project needs
- To minimise laboratory risk through escalating issues with workstream delivery to the senior scientist roles for the purpose of capturing any difficulties and filling knowledge gaps
- To ensure the confidentiality of all technology and compositions which ensure the uniqueness of BAT output
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Ability to deliver against a portfolio of tasks within defined timescales
Broad understanding of product testing approaches and data interpretation
Broad knowledge of product research and related methodologies
Ability to work in a Chemical laboratory, manipulating solvents, acids and highly toxic substances
Technical / Functional / Leadership Skills Required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with internal/external capabilities
- Ability to plan and prioritise tasks based on business need
Education / Qualifications / Certifications Required
- Degree-level qualification in a relevant field of study (i. e., Chemistry, Food science, Technology science, Materials science, engineering, etc)
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!