BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Junior Level
FUNCTION: Research & Development (R&D)
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
Manage and develop functional genomics workstreams, translating the wider R&D strategy into plans and activities for key programs related to harm reduction, ESG and Beyond Nicotine.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
The applications of plant biotechnology spans across all scientific research pillars and is key in advancing our knowledge of genetics and biosynthetic pathways of high-value compounds and implementing sustainable strategies for future product development.
In conjunction with our team of subject matter experts, this functional genomics scientist will deploy key scientific findings into a strategic plan for regulatory compliance, sustainable practices, and innovation strategies. This will be instrumental in expanding the impact of our research for the business.
Role directly delivers BAT’s core purpose of A Better Tomorrow, via the science and technical framework proving the reduction in public health impact of our business
Principal Biotechnology Manager
Number of Direct Reports
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Use molecular biology techniques, microbiology, and plant physiology to support the screening and identification of gene targets
- Use Genomics and NGS methodologies to develop diagnostic and breeding markers for traits of interest in plants of interest
- Interpret results and implement new methodologies to provide solutions to inform trait discovery and deployment
- Interface with Biotechnology team and wider R&D to reapply methodologies and frameworks
- Interface with key external partners for the advancement of capabilities and develop/execution of studies
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- How do you think biotechnology can contribute to A Better Tomorrow for BAT?
- Can you describe any relevant experience that can help you deliver against that?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Extensive hands-on experience in plant molecular biology including DNA and RNA extractions, PCR, vector design, cloning, and genetic transformation
- Good knowledge of gene editing and gene-silencing methodologies in plants (CRISPR-Cas9, RNAi, VIGS)
- Experience in PCR-based marker design and screening (TaqMan, KASP, microsatellites)
- Strong experimental design and statistics skills
- Working knowledge of NGS methodologies, tools, and data analysis desirable (WGS, RNA-seq, variant analysis)
- Excellent communication skills to technical and non-technical, internal, and external audiences
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills
- PhD in Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology, or other life Sciences related discipline such as Microbiology and Molecular Biology or equivalent experience
- Postdoctoral experience desirable.
- Experience in project management with multiple stakeholders
- Experience of using R for data analysis.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!